The Insurance Company was having issues with compliance, audit findings, and human error in its Identity and Access Management (IAM) processes for provisioning accounts. Approximately 20% of 1000+ work items experienced some form of human error. They needed a solution to reduce the manual process work.
The IAM team was overwhelmed with having to correct a high number of human errors. Not only were they spending extra time correcting errors but also time addressing compliance issues and answering pre-audit inquiries. Many teams were affected by human error such as IAM, audit, application, Cybersecurity, and employees whose accesses were delayed or incorrectly provisioned were all affected by human error.
The Insurance company hired us to automate their provisioning processes using Robotic Process Automation. They did not have a plan to get the results they desired because they did not know where to start or what to expect. There were capable employees in their organization, but they lacked real-life experiences to create a plan or roadmap for their RPA program that would lead to success.
To understand the issues this organization was facing and design a solution, we decided to take the following steps.
- Assess their manual business processes to discover root causes
- Determine what actions were needed to solve the identified problems
- Create an automation vision to document what they wanted to achieve
- Develop a risk assessment to determine the risk of inaction if they do not implement an automation program
- Design an organizational alignment framework because of the cross-departmental nature of provisioning accounts
Besides the need to address their IAM provisioning concerns, we proposed a Governance and Operating Model that would allow for automation nimbleness. This model deemed necessary so that they would have
- A repeatable framework for process candidate ideation, selection, and implementation prioritization
- The capacity for supporting an RPA demand pipeline needed to accommodate additional departments who will become interested in automating manual processes
Although we addressed the immediate IAM provisioning concerns, a Governance and Operating Model would proactively help the organization manage future demand.
The Insurance Company realized the following results after automation to reduce manual process work.
- Immediate ROI because the error rate dropped from 20% to 2%
- Instantly began discovering process candidates qualified for automation
- Set up a cross-functional governance counsel for prioritizing processes based on business benefit and ROI
- Over a few months, automated 25+ processes with over 800,000 transactions and work items processed
- 150+ employees are directly benefiting by no longer having to perform the selected manual processes
- 3,700+ resource hours no longer required from employees
- Reassigned employees previously focused on manual repetitive and mundane tasks to more advanced work
- Experienced a positive ROI in less than eight months
The Insurance Company experienced success because they were willing to share and take part in finding the right solution. They also realized that there were extra benefits to automation at an enterprise-level. So, they decided early on to pursue automation for other business units.
Besides setting up their initial Governance and Operating Model, we created
- A Long-Term Automation Roadmap to guarantee their success
- An Analytics and Metrics Playbook to project future ROI, track Software Robot performance, and Transactional level metrics for before and after productivity comparisons
- Established standard process ideation, selection, and prioritization framework to select the BEST processes for automation
- Provided an ROI Calculator to track accrued year-to-date ROI
This project benefited from our considerable experience with automating manual processes. We had experienced similar scenarios before and were able to create solutions so that the Insurance Company would see an immediate benefit.
Want Similar Results for Your Organization?
Book your free 30-minute consultation where we talk about your business — and explore how we can help you achieve your goals.